Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Cringe-worthy Women?

While I sense somewhere in my heart-of-hearts that I'm supposed to be agreeing that all of these women are cringe-worthy, I think MSN has done a real disservice in their latest feature on women "they" deem harmful to other women.

Here is a slide show of these "cringe-worthy" women. Take a look and see whether or not you agree.

My issue is not that the women they've chosen are evil; in many ways, I don't like them. But what really makes me question this whole slide show is the way that gender (in this case "woman") is conceptualized. On one hand, someone is cringe-worthy because she's advocating ultra-femininity. On the other hand, later on another is condemned because she's advocating the viewpoint that suggests women at completely controlled by male-dominated culture industries.

I'm just so confused. There's a "sister" article as well that names the 15 great women or something. I haven't gotten there yet, but my guess is those choices wildly vascillate as well.

To me, this media presentation is just as harmful to all women as the women they've chosen to highlight for the same reason. Take it in with caution!

No comments: